The arts have been significant in the development of Dorset’s character.
Both visual and performing media provide stimulating and enjoyable entertainment. On July 2, 1929, the Dorset Playhouse officially opened. In typical Vermont style, the building of this lovely theatre was a true community effort and included the use of three local barns in its construction. Since the 1930’s, the Playhouse has served as a home to many theatre productions and personalities, including members of Fred and Pat Carmichael’s beloved Caravan Theatre, the wonderful year round community theatre The Dorset Players, and since the 1970’s the Dorset Theatre Festival (DTF) founded by Jill Charles and John Nassivera.
In 1904, a collective of Dorset Painters held an exhibition at the Dorset Field Club to benefit the Dorset Library. The library, now located in the former Gray Tavern, was founded in 1870 and is one of the oldest in the state of Vermont. It has a collection of approximately 20,000 volumes and visitors are always welcome.
“The Dorset Artists” as they called themselves later became Southern Vermont Artists and are the stewards of the lovely Yesterhouse Galleries and performing arts pavilion.
The Congregational Church on the town green is aglow with stained glass windows – including some by Tiffany depicting Dorset gardens.
Visitors are welcome at the studios of area potters, painters, carvers, stencilers, cabinet makers and other artists who enrich us all with their work and as members of our community.