How to Hygge in Dorset – Winter Edition
You’ve probably seen the Instagram posts and heard the word “hygge” being tossed around. But what is it? Hygge (pronounced hoo-gah) is the Danish concept of coziness, contentment and living a slow and simple lifestyle. It’s about spending quality time with friends and family, enjoying the simple pleasures in life and getting a break from work, multitasking and technology. Think: cozy fires, enjoying nature, a good book, togetherness and delicious food.
We’re highlighting the top 10 ways to experience the hygge lifestyle this winter in Dorset and we hope you try at least one!
- Cozy up to a sheepskin from Levy Lamb. Hygge is all about being warm and surrounding yourself with natural materials. Levy Lamb in Dorset is just the place for a Vermont grown sheepskin.
- Channel the hygge spirit with a welcoming room and three-course breakfast at the Squire House. Creme brulee french toast, berry-bread pudding and buttermilk pancakes? Yes, please!
- Get lost in a book at the Dorset Library. Climb into one of their comfy chairs or take it home – they have a great selection of books and magazines.
- You can’t hygge in the winter without having a delicious hot chocolate. Try Mettowee Mint for a special cocoa treat. Feeling extra hygge? Try it with cinnamon and cocoa sprinkled on top.
- Enjoy dinner by candlelight at the Dorset Inn. Discover something delicious off their new winter menu and relax in an intimate setting with friends and family.
- Treat yourself (and your loved ones!) to a mouthwatering pastry from Jaymie Bakes in East Dorset. Hygge is all about indulging with moderation!
- Turn off the lights and light up a candle. Soft lighting is key to a hygge environment. Find locally made beeswax candles at HN Williams.
- Get your snowshoes on! Cutler Forest in Dorset, Merck Forest & Farmland Center in Rupert and Smokey House Center in Danby are all great places to snowshoe in winter. Bring a thermos of hot tea and keep a close eye out for winter birds.
- Break out a board game to play with family and friends or better yet, join Barrows House for their weekly Trivia Night.
- Gather around the woodstove. Few things are more hygge than a cozy winter fire. The Dorset Bakery has a nice spot to sit while enjoying a warm bowl of soup.
BONUS 11: Get warm and cozy with one of the Dorset Union Store‘s many homemade soups available daily.